Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 September 2017

Mooc-ing around

I love Moocs!   Moocs are Massive Open Online Courses and you can find them at Futurelearn and Coursera.  They are free courses offered by top universities all over the world.  There's no written work just discussion forums to allow participants to engage with each other on line.  



I've done several including
You and your money - offered by the Open University
Strategies for successful aging offered by Trinity College Dublin
Exploring anatomy offered by the University of Leeds
Researching your family tree, offered by the University of Strathclyde
Maths puzzles offered by the Weizman Institute
and quite a lot more.

Not all are on offer at the same time so you need to check regularly.

Today I have started a course about the weather.  It's being offered by the University of Exeter and I'm not sure if it's offered internationally although most Futurelearn courses are  but the examples in this one seem to be all British. It promises to teach about the weather with regard to walkers, photographers and gardeners so it should prove interesting and IT'S FREE!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm doing a course on Wordsworth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, I am at the moment doing one on ecosystems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound great! If I don't get back to finish my BA in person in the New Year (waiting for the subway extension to open in December as I can no longer manage a 1.5 to 2hr commute) then I am definitely going to check out some of the online courses - I really just want something of general interest to keep the brain cells chugging along and these sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all sound great! If I don't get back to finish my BA in person in the New Year (waiting for the subway extension to open in December as I can no longer manage a 1.5 to 2hr commute) then I am definitely going to check out some of the online courses - I really just want something of general interest to keep the brain cells chugging along and these sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete