Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 March 2018

Birds

I think I rather underestimated how much my cold knocked me back.  I am having real difficulty in getting back to a reasonable active lifestyle.  The steps are even more babyish than I had thought they would be.


I am managing a little though.  On Monday I went to Brigg, mainly to replenish the supplies of bird food.  There seems be to very little interest in the poppy seed hearts, Niger seeds or mixed seeds which I put out but the local birds can't get enough of the mealyworms and fat with insects in it.  This sort of cheep food isn't cheap food by any means but I'm having such entertainment that I'll pay.  The winds last week meant that mealyworms blew from the table but I melted some waste fat from the kitchen and mixed the worms with that and they then stayed on the table until fetched by the birds.



The Ancholme at Brigg
Brigg was lovely as always.  It's a trundle truck users dream.  Everyone gets free parking for two hours in Brigg but there is no limit for Blue Badge holders.  Once parked I can get the TT out of the car and trundle to my heart's content as the whole shopping area is fully pedestrianised and there is a path down by the river which means I can soon be out of the town and watching birds in the countryside and on the water.
Stixwould signal box and the canal beyond
Yesterday I went to talk to my spiritual counsellor.  Henry sees his clients in a converted signalbox at an old railway station near a canal.  It's a lovely comfortable room but one of the best things about it is that the bird watching is great.  It's rather nice to be able to break off from the conversation when something interesting is happening outside.  Yesterday there were egrets visible from the signal box and I watched a moorhen who I think was prospecting for somewhere to build her nest.


I'm no twitcher but there is something very special about seeing nature going about her business.



9 comments:

  1. I do agree with you. Just spending a few minutes gazing out of the window at our birds is a joy. Ours can't be bothered with Niger, they prefer Sunflower seeds. Our local Pets at Home store has sensibly started to sell these, and peanuts, loose so you can buy as many or as few as you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll both enjoy our birds! It's such a privilege and a joy, isn't it.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy watching the birds as well. I still need to move my bird feeders from the other house but I am looking forward to seeing what sorts of birds hang around at our new place. Our neighbor's house is an Audubon Society certified song bird habitat so I am hoping some of them fly over the fence and visit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up the Audobon Society but if you've got a garden like that next door you are VERY kucky!

      Delete
    2. I just hope they share their birds!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely room and such a wonderful view. My apt. building backs onto a conservation area so my kitchen window is especially wonderful for bird watching - along with seeing lots of other animals.
    Try not to worry too much about bouncing back - I've been the same way after weeks of this cold/flu bug and other friends all say the same thing. You think you feel better so you try to catch up on things at home or go out to walk and do errands and then just collapse when you get home. One thing that fibromyalgia has taught me is to pace myself so I am finding that is helping. Just doing one or two things each day at least makes me feel as though life is getting back to normal but then I also plan lots of rest time in between - it will be a slow but hopefully steady progression.
    Glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy yourself a bit - it sounds like a wonderful area and so nice that you and others have been accommodated. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Margie. I'm making sure that a keast some of the limited energy I have is used for fun things and not just housework. I live alone so no-one else is affected by the dust!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful room to sit and chat, it must be wonderful to get a glimpse of the wildlife. I am drawn to the windows all the time here it is a joy to watch the different visitors to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They take people for short stays and I'm hoping to have a break there later this year.

    ReplyDelete